Friday, November 16, 2012

Everyone’s a hacker in PH nowadays

Seems like the number of groups claiming to be hackers in the Philippines increased tenfold since the success of anti-Cybercrime Law operation. Forums of these hacking groups also surfaced containing cracking tools and tutorials readily accessible to the public. Side note: I just have to say that the quality of the setup of these forums blows, loading times are so slow, one of the forums even copied contents from the “Diablo III” website.

Yesterday, November 16, our site was the target of a DDOS attack in an operation called “Black Friday” by lesser known Filipino hackers which was later said to be not sanctioned by the main hacking groups by saying that this certain Friday was not their specified operation date. Fortunately for us, we survived yet another attack. Disclosure: yes we get intrusion attempts on our site weekly. What I don’t get is that why is our site being targeted by these hackers when we are the ones helping them. Such is the life on the other side of the fence. I remember back in the old days when a hacker targets, he hits. His agenda is not for popularity (well maybe a little) but for curiosity. We like to say the age old adage – I do it because I can.

As of the moment, the post that contain the link to the DDOS app was removed in the Facebook page of the hackers (or should I say crackers).

By looking at the posts and comments on the Facebook pages of this supposed hackers, I can not help but see that the quality of posts are degrading. What started as a heroic fight against the Cybercrime Prevention Act of 2012 has now become just a portal for “skids” (experienced hackers know what I mean). Bashing a person just because he/she differs with the general opinion has become a trademark. What happened to the freedom of speech we so dearly are fighting for.

Yesterdays attacks were about the Ampatuan trial. I get that, that’s cool. what I do not get is that the attacks happened on sites that do not have any relevant connection with the trial. Example: http://www.loto.com.ph/, http://www.votek.com.ph/, http://www.sanjosecity-ne.gov.ph/index.php, etc. Even a website for Christians http://www.resurrectionparish.com.ph was attacked.

A reason would be that they were trying to raise awareness that is why these seemingly not connected websites were defaced, I get that. They can.

In the end, I just think that these continuous defacements is not doing the country any good. Foreign hackers even see us as easy prey. If they really like to help strengthen our cyber defenses, notify website admins of vulnerabilities. Oh I know that some of the government webmasters have a high sense of pride to listen or are not just technologically adept to plug in this holes, I have met some of them. But these trend is changing. Ngayon security conscious na sila, and that is because of the hacking groups with good intentions.

Lahat tayo gusto makatulong sa bansa. That is part why I applied in the government and I encourage you to do the same. Kahit maliit ang sweldo. Cheers.

No comments:

Post a Comment